I'm still in the midst of hacking around, randomly creating maps for inclusion in the Wilderness Creation Tutorial for the new version of Seven Voyages of Zylarthen. But I really like this one. Again, these use the suggestions in Volume 4: The Campaign, created with Hexographer. The idea is to come out with something resembling the "Wilderness Survival" map of OD&D, but with a larger scale and a bit more flavor.
- This map uses the "old school" black and white icons available with the "Pro" version of Hexographer. I think it's arguably more tasteful and avoids the souped-up Greyhawk map look of the color tiles.
- Again, it was generated completely randomly with no cheating. This gives it some interesting aspects:
- What is the "village" labeled "Kingdom of the Ants"? Your players probably don't want to find out.
- But "Cult of Kali" is pretty self-explanatory.
- I like the magic school on the tip of that eastern island.
- What would a Dryad "city" (actually, more of the size of a village) be like?
- There are too many Witches (aren't there always?).
- The Martians get their own city, since I randomly rolled that Arid Plains would surround it. I imagine it's a dead city that the Red Martians (determined randomly, but I'm glad they were Red) have temporally occupied.
- The Marsh in the northwest looks unfriendly, with THREE (not one, not two but three) Evil Lords vying for control. Do not go there.