Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Free Zylarthen Is About To Go Away


This isn't a sales pitch. Actually, sort of the opposite.

I launched the public version of Seven Voyages of Zylarthen on Christmas Day, 2013. So, it's been almost a year. The game itself isn't vanishing anywhere. Indeed, I intend to increase my support for it.  But the free PDF version is about to disappear, at least for the time being. That's because I'm shortly going to offer a combined PDF of all four booklets, bookmarked and with some possible "extras", for a price. In another location I said this would happen at Christmas, but that's probably a bit early. And is Christmas really the time to take away a free thing? New Year's? We'll see. But the clock is ticking.

If you like the game, or want to possess a copy, you still have at least a few days to get it for free on Lulu. Obviously, the "priced" version isn't going to bankrupt anyone, but free is free. So go for it now if you are so inclined.

Thank you first of all to those who purchased the physical booklets. I really appreciate it. Sure, I can't say that I've made $100/hour on the thing. But that last Lulu check came in handy, I'll tell you that. The physical booklets will always be available, although I am exploring every option to offer them at the highest possible quality for the lowest possible price (consistent with the fact that I have six hungry mouths to feed). Additional Zylarthen material in the form of adventures and supplements in either PDF and/or physical form is also on the horizon.

But thank you secondly to those who have downloaded the game, especially if you have spread the word. Here at Campion and Clitherow (the Saints names of my wife and I) we are incredibly grateful for the positive "buzz" the game has received. I have appreciated every comment, criticism and play report I have seen.
Happy dungeoneering! Guard the innocent! Avenge the wronged! May you find heaps of gold at the end of your path, or at the least a memorable and heroic demise! But above all, God grant that you find wonder everywhere!
Zylarthen is my tribute to Gygax and Arneson's original conception. I hope (in whatever format) you enjoy it.

11 comments:

  1. Great news. When and how can I get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the combined version won't arrive until New Year's or a bit after. I want to try RPGNow, or perhaps take the 5% hit and offer it on Lulu at the same time.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure taking the 5% hit on OneBookShelf is worth it just for being able to offer PDF on Lulu - I can't be sure but my guess is the former has a far, far bigger customer base. And because you have the print copies on Lulu you can always point your customers there to the RPG Now / DTRPG electronic versions. The problem there is you can't do a bits+mortar style bundle, but I don't know if Lulu can do that, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Click on the 7 voyages link in the right column. It takes you to Lulu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you also have a POD version of the combined PDF on Lulu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps at some point. I have a bias towards booklets, so to be honest, I didn't think there was an interest in a one-volume physical book. (There I go again, projecting my biases on everyone else.) But more and more people are asking. Obviously, all things being equal, cheaper is better. But do you also just simply prefer the one-volume format, price aside?

      Delete
  4. Have you seen this, amigo? https://ia600704.us.archive.org/17/items/WarriorsOfMarsTheWarfareOfBarsoomInMiniature1974/WarriorsOfMarsTheWarfareOfBarsoomInMiniature1974.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And that's a good scan. I actually like the art even though most people seem to like to make fun of it. I almost bought that new version. Do you own or have you played either of them?

      Delete
  5. Seems like a good plan to me! Just be prepared for your number of downloads to drop precipitously once it's no longer free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's worth paying for...I haven't done it yet because I'm not interested in a four-book perfect bound format. That format is great for collectors but not for players.

    However, single volume? I'm in! Once available, this will be my go to fantasy game, not just OSR game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oakes - in the next version, how about assigning Weapon Classes for each creature attack rather than referring to the guesstimate table?...please...

    ReplyDelete